Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Bountiful Bliss.

It's Monday of Thankgiving week, the kids are off school (Kate is with friends, of course) and I'm sitting here typing amidst a grocery list, Target list, and of course the house needs to be cleaned.  It's easy to get caught up in the "must-do" of this week.  I must be prepared for Thankgiving Day as I am hosting for the first time ever!  I must clean (and organizing Keil's office would be an added bonus).  I must get the freshly laundered linens ironed.  I must get the kids' table set.  I must find those turkey hand towels that I packed away somewhere that I would remember where I put them.  I must get those water goblets down off the top shelf and clean them.  I must hit Total Wine.  I must clean out the garage fridge.  I could go on and on and ON....you get the idea. 

Amidst this great list, here I am typing on my blog.  Silly, right?  I just cannot get over Saturday's example of God's amazing grace out of my mind.  On Saturday morning, our dear friend and Associate Pastor, Elliott was driving home from an all-night church lock-in for our high school youth group.  He was driving on Sycolin Road toward Leesburg when he fell asleep at the wheel and his car launched off an embankment, rolled up a tree and was flung into a ditch by this tree. 
By his own account, he woke up to hear horn honking, loud cracking and feeling like he was being flipped through the air.  In the midst of this, he started yelling out a prayer, "Lord, please protect me!  Please protect me!"  After the dust settled and Elliott was pulled from the wreckage (feet first through the windshield).  He was banged up with some cuts on his hands and a broken toe.  All the Rescue Personnel, Police Officers, Doctors -- everyone told him how lucky he was to be alive --to which he gave witness:  "It wasn't luck -- God's grace abounds and he had his hand on me."  

From the looks of his car and to see him standing next to it......so very emotional.  Elliott is not only our Pastor but he is our dear friend and a part of our family.  I cannot get him out of my mind.  

My point?  Last week...it was easy for me to get wrapped up in all the trappings of Thanksgiving dinner, housecleaning, napkin rings, etc.  This week?  It doesn't matter if the napkins are ironed, the house is spotless or the table is set just so.  What matters is the fellowship that will take place this week amongst all my family and friends near and far.  What matters is the amazing gratitude I have to God for all the blessings in my life....I'll start with Elliott.  Thank you God for protecting Elliott from this near-fatal accident.  Thank you for reuniting him with his beautiful wife, Shannon and their precious baby girl, Lila.   I'll ask you to wrap your arms around those around me that are struggling with health issues of their own and that of their family members.  I'll ask you to put your hand on my Mother-in-law as she faces her radiation treatments for sending this breast cancer packing.  Thank you for all the love, laughter, friendship, family and goodness I have in my life.  Thank you God, I am truly grateful.

In this spirit of gratitude, I am off to spend a little quality time with my son, Wilson.  Give me the strength :)

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment